Emotional safe word – D/s tools

2DF3A78F-081D-4FF4-A976-79F07B89EB9FCommunication is frequently held up as a key cornerstone of D/s, and rightly so. Communication in any relationship is incredibly important to enable expression and understanding of thoughts, ideas, opinions and emotions. I’ve not read, however, much of how to do this within a D/s relationship beyond just sitting down and talking. Sounds so easy right? Sometimes it’s not though.

Communication of my feelings, needs and emotions is something I’m pretty piss poor at. With anything else, I’m confident, open and outspoken, but this? No. I gag myself and hide them behind a protective front. I’ve realised recently with increased clarity why that is, and yet again it’s rooted in my past. When the years of chaos and drug use and violence were occurring, and even afterwards, not once was I asked how I was feeling by any adult or friend in my life. Not once was I asked if I was ok. That sends a pretty powerful message to a child, as it did to me, that these were not things we spoke about, these were not things we asked for help with. That my feelings and needs did not matter. That these are things we keep hidden and these are things we do not burden others with. That these are things we manage by ourselves.

I’ve mentioned in previous writings that Cuiplash and I introduced the use of an emotional safe word in our D/s to give me an additional communication tool because I’m so bad at emotionally focused communication. He recently used a bad driver analogy, comparing me to a driver going along and then suddenly swerving or pulling in without signalling or indicating my need to first, leaving him and others wondering why. This made me laugh at the time, as it’s true. I fail to communicate what’s going on in my head and heart and whilst it’s often very busy in there, outward appearances would suggest otherwise until I suddenly take a sharp corner, and occasionally crash the car.

Whilst Cuiplash and I made and still make relatively good use of daily check ins and weekly ‘downtime’ talks focusing on us and our D/s, I find I need the opportunity to be asked, rather than offer, how I am feeling in myself. We’d often go off track earlier in our D/s as Cuiplash is not a mind reader, as much as I’d like him to be, and he’d either be unaware I was wrestling with something or he’d give me space which ultimately emotionally triggered me into feeling a bit abandoned and unseen, a negative neural route right back to when I was little.

Three things had to happen to improve this repeat pattern. One, I had to take more responsibility in expressing my feelings rather than waiting to be sat down and have them drawn out of me by him. Two, we had to find a manageable way to do this. Three, I had to practice this.

Together we came up with the idea of an emotional safe word that I can use at any time to signal to him verbally or online that I am struggling with something and that I need to talk when we can be alone. He set me that task of choosing the word and it had to have meaning. I chose riptide as my emotional safe word as I always go back to water as my source of peace. It also describes effectively the sensation of being pulled out and away and of being overwhelmed.

I’ve still to practice using this more, as sometimes even that can feel too hard. I’m honestly THAT bad so we also introduced a visual signal I can use to communicate my need that I will write more about in another post. When I have used this communication tool it has been really effective as it builds those lost skills and confidence in me and takes the pressure off him to second guess.

I think, no matter how good you are at communicating in general, expressing difficult feelings and deep needs can often be more challenging for many reasons around vulnerability, shame, embarrassment and fear of judgement or appearing silly. I think that no matter what tools you use to enable it to happen as often and as easily as you can within your relationship, of any or no dynamic, it’s only going to strengthen it.

So, my lovely readers, what communication tools do you use that work well, beyond a simple ‘let’s talk’?

13 thoughts on “Emotional safe word – D/s tools

1. missy September 9, 2018 / 2:16 pm

I actually find that I have the opposite problem and that when I feel emotional it can spill out of me. It might be in conversation or I might send a text or something about how I am feeling. When I feel bad I have a need to try to resolve it right there right then so it is difficult for me to wait or to sweep my feelings under the carpet. 😊

• kisungura September 9, 2018 / 5:04 pm

It does spill out but takes a bit (lot) of prompting, less swept under the carpet and more like smoking volcano about to blow. It usually takes a lot before I’d erupt voluntarily. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not…probably not🤔

• missy September 9, 2018 / 5:09 pm

I think we are all different and knowing what your behaviour is likely to be is really helping when managing it, for you and for a partner. I know that lots of other people have said that they find communicating their feelings hard so I don’t think you are alone in that. 😊

• kisungura September 9, 2018 / 5:16 pm

I think it is, and identifying (helpful or otherwise) defaults around communication is really important, even without a wealth of 💩 alongside that to break down and work through.

2. babygirlsreturn September 9, 2018 / 7:07 pm

I love this!! I tend to vacillate between the two ends. Needing it dealt with in the moment and needing to wait.

What a great idea.

• kisungura September 9, 2018 / 7:10 pm

Thank you! We’ve found this kind of meets both those ends. Being able to say it in the moment deals with the immediate need, and knowing it’ll be dealt with when we’re alone and the kids are in bed helps with the need to wait. I just need to keep get better at using it, not point having a shiny tool in your pocket if you’re not going to use it…also hence our other tool. Belts and braces! xx

3. Princesse Crowned September 10, 2018 / 3:14 am

For me, when I’m quiet, that is what I need in return until I can talk about what is on my mind. When I’m talking, I need talking heaped upon me. I tend to be clear on when/what is going on; just might need more time (or less) to explain or process it.

I have found that words cannot be unspoken, so I have learned to pace myself.

• kisungura September 10, 2018 / 5:21 pm

Thank you for this, I appreciate you sharing. When I go quiet that’s when I need to talk most, confusingly! But once I start then I’m generally good, it’s just getting started that’s the stall. I think you are so right about pacing yourself though and considering what’s said. I’m a bit of a waterfall when the words tumble out at times, something to work on x

• Princesse Crowned September 11, 2018 / 5:07 am

Actually, going quiet when you need talk shows you are reflecting on and sorting out your feelings. Which is good, b/c as we both agree, pacing is crucial. 😉

Liked by 2 people

• kisungura September 11, 2018 / 5:45 pm

You are so right, like a swan, quiet in the surface and a whole lot of paddling going on underneath!