Why Kisungura?

950E72B2-E5FB-482D-8CFE-DEDFAB3C143B

“Rabbits are like human beings in many ways. One of these is certainly their staunch ability to withstand disaster and to let the stream of their life carry them along, past reaches of terror and loss. They have a certain quality which it would not be accurate to describe as callousness or indifference. It is, rather, a blessedly circumscribed imagination and an intuitive feeling that Life is Now. A foraging wild creature, intent above all upon survival, is as strong as the grass.” Richard Adams, Watership Down

I’m always fascinated by what people call themselves on blogs, forums and social media and why they chose the identifier they did. Some are funny, some descriptive, some an esteemed title, some indicate position within a dynamic. They will all have personal meaning and connection to the owner.

I have used the name Kisungura for a number of years across a few different platforms. I remember when I was trying to find something it was important to us to choose a name that had meaning to us both as a submissive wife to my husband Cuiplash.

Kisungura (pronounced kisungoora) means rabbit in Swahili and both of these elements are valued and woven throughout our lives.

15 years ago we were married in Africa, just the two of us, having travelled overland extensively and camped throughout the varied wilderness of Africa across a number of years. We chose to be married in Africa (country withheld) as we’d fallen in love with the places, the people, the landscapes, the adventures and peace we experienced there. A huge part of my heart will always remain in Africa.

I was born in the Chinese Year of the Rabbit and my birth month makes me a Wood Rabbit according to the Chinese elemental signs. I think a lot of the following rings true for me –

Under the influence of the Wood Element, the Wood Rabbit is the most dynamic, imaginative and nurturing of all the Rabbit signs. The compassion of the Wood rabbit is hard to match, as they dedicate most of their energies to protecting the interests of others. In the same sense, the Wood Rabbit can be a champion of justice when fairness is challenged. Those born under the Wood Rabbit sign are often highly social and thrive in a cooperative environment. Highly artistic, the Wood Rabbit is usually drawn to some form of artistic expression. It is through art that the Wood Rabbit attempts to replicate the aesthetic beauty that they appreciate in the world around them.

With an interest for helping others and fitting in, the Wood Rabbit has many options for a successful career. Their emotional understanding and compassion would do well in teaching, advising or negotiation. If the Wood Rabbit chooses to pursue their creative interests, they may be a great fit for writing, design, graphic design or some other type of self-expression. The Wood Rabbit has been known to connect to audiences with their warm personalities.

The fault of the Wood Rabbit may be too much compassion, as their compassion may be so strong that they abandon their own ambitions in the name of others. Similarly, the outwardly focused Wood Rabbit can easily spread themselves thin by taking on too many causes. In these situations, worry and anxiety become the Wood Rabbit’s greatest foe. In order to maintain mental and emotional health, the Wood Rabbit is encouraged to take time for themselves and their rest.

Wood Rabbit in Relationships
Rabbits are very sexual, but tend to give more of themselves than they should. This can lead to unrealistic expectations and unhealthy situations. Rabbits need partners who won’t take advantage of their giving nature. Such pairings will be strong.

Wood Rabbits occupy their time doing for others; always feeling the need to make others content. This generosity is easy for others to take advantage of and sometimes Wood Rabbits don’t even realize is happening.

Cuiplash is a Tiger which makes us a predator/prey match, which I thought was quite fitting but that’s for another post!

I have a rabbit tattoo on the base of my back I designed myself and Cuiplash and I adopted a whole lot of rescue bunnies for over a decade before having our own children, so I was a rabbit mummy first.

My bunny tail allows me to access my inner rabbit. Watchful, tenacious and a survivor, yet gentle, loving and playful.

This is me, I am Kisungura 🐰

24 thoughts on “Why Kisungura?

1. slars July 10, 2018 / 3:37 pm

Wow that does sound like a good description of you, the artisticness, teaching, all of the ways you have described yourself. Funny how that works out. Now i have to go look mine up!

• kisungura July 10, 2018 / 3:39 pm

I always find these things fun, especially if they fit, and I think this is pretty accurate for me. I’d love to know what you are!

• slars July 10, 2018 / 3:44 pm

i am a metal goat and i think it is pretty accurate! Also, the part about your wedding sounds so lovely and adventurous and wonderful.

• kisungura July 10, 2018 / 3:46 pm

Oh a metal goat sounds very grand and strong 🐐, and thank you, it was the most wonderful adventure and I’m always so glad we did it our way😊

• slars July 10, 2018 / 3:48 pm

i have always wanted a little flock of goats to roll around with in the grass, so i find it silly that ive been a goat all along. Thanks for your post. 💞

• kisungura July 10, 2018 / 3:50 pm

that’ll be why! you’re most welcome ☺️ x

2. Marie Rebelle July 10, 2018 / 8:49 pm

I absolutely love that your chosen name comes from Africa and of course I am very very curious to know in which country you got married. I grew up in South Africa and like with you, Africa will always be in my heart!

Rebel xox

• kisungura July 10, 2018 / 8:54 pm

Aw wonderful Marie! I’ve been to South Africa but it wasn’t where we were married, I can email you…Africa is such a magical place, I love all the countries we’ve travelled through for different reasons and hope you go back someday, thank you for sharing xx

• C for now July 11, 2018 / 9:28 pm

In that I listened to what you had to say and found it “interesting”. Were we sitting on the porch watching a sunset it would have been a fabulous start to an evening of conversation. In this place, it was a good read and I found “interesting” as the best summation.

I am not always long winded ma’am!

• kisungura July 11, 2018 / 9:43 pm

Aw, well I’m glad, and sitting on the porch watching a sunset sounds blissful right about now 😊

• C for now July 12, 2018 / 12:00 am

Spent the last 3 hours on phone. Might not be able to have company tonight as there is a writing assignment I promised to turn in. Did just come in from strolling the yard and checking my apple trees. Does that count as relaxing?

3. darkanddominant July 20, 2018 / 4:43 am

This is delightful! I feel touched knowing this little fact about you.

I too am the rabbit!

• kisungura July 20, 2018 / 4:48 am

Aw thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it, do you know which rabbit you are? I was quite struck by how accurate the Wood Rabbit description is, although I’m sure all the elemental rabbits are wonderful, I need to read about them 🐇😊

• darkanddominant July 20, 2018 / 4:53 am

I’m a fire rabbit – apparently a peace loving, sensual being. Huh. It’s accurate, I’ve just never known about the differences like this.

• kisungura July 20, 2018 / 5:04 am

Me either! Although somewhat simplistic, I still think it’s really fascinating 😊

4. AC @ The Cracked Lens August 6, 2018 / 7:23 pm

I really enjoyed this glimpse into you as “Kisungura”, and love the match between you and Cuiplash. I’m a Tiger as well on the Chinese Zodiac and lion (Leo) in traditional astrology. Oh, and love the bunny tail!!!